- Participate as an active member in the patient’s outpatient primary care team.
- Maintain availability and accessibility to other providers and staff for interventions related to patients’ nutritional needs.
- Conduct comprehensive nutritional assessment, education and management to patients referred by care providers and/or the multidisciplinary team in the clinic or at the patient home if needed.
- Provide nutrition intervention classes keeping in mind of culture, economics and education level of the groups to adults and children on a monthly basis in accordance with the established class topics.
- Coordinate, implement, and evaluate nutrition education using the most current guidelines and tools that have been validated including but not limited to the Nutrition Care Manual diet manual. Reputable sources that include integrative and functional medicine protocols that tailor individual plans utilizing a whole body approach when appropriate.
- Engage patients and family in identification of specific nutrition goals and interventions needed to achieve these goals.
- Makes appropriate referrals to other services, such as Social Services or various Food Assistance Programs as indicated.
- Evaluates enteral feeding nutrient requirements, the current regimen and provides recommendations for appropriate adjustments in terms of the type of formula, rate and water flushes and possible need for additional vitamins or mineral supplements to the patient’s primary care provider.
- Work with clinicians and other team members in re: to nutrition related services and recommendations.
- Provide proper documentation via the electronic medical record (EMR) using appropriate terminology and utilizing the nutrition care process within the assessment.
Bachelor’s degree in nutrition with course work approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Master’s degree or completion of dietetic internship program.
Minimum Work Experience
One year of experience as a clinical dietitian or in the field of nutrition.
Maintains Kentucky dietitian license and meets ongoing licensure requirements.
Current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration or registry eligible (must achieve Registered Dietitian credential within 3 months of date of hire).